Friday, July 2, 2010

For What It Is Worth...

99% of the time, you think you do what you do, because that is just what you do. But it is nice to think that what you do has to some part in something much bigger than your own selfish reasons.

At my time at Adshel, I was bossy and would often tell people to do this run, that run and I thought I was just being pushy. But it turns out walking into the office tired, and hanging out my washing over filing cabinets for the next training session can acutally be some form of inspiration.

Leanne, used to sit opposite me and before I left she told me, "Siobhan, Kerryn McCann inspired me to buy my first pair of running shoes in 20 years. But you inspire me to run everyday."

This made me feel a little overwhelmed. BUT it made me realise that being able to inspire someone like that means a hell of a lot more than any medal. To know that you helped someone find a love for putting their running shoes on and achieving something is awesome!

So whilst I inspired someone, Leanne has in fact inspired me! If someone can have every excuse under the sun to not train (I'm not fit, I don't have running shoes... you name it) What excuse do I have?

So whilst Leanne thanked me for helping her, I now have to thank Leanne for reminding my why I love my sport, and that ordinary people doing extraordinary things in life is the best source of inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment