Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Bondi Barefoot

Well, this race was in fact ages ago. But I had a win, and this race was on my home beach, and in front of all my club mates at North Bondi Surf Club - so I need to blog about it, perhaps the way an emo kid would blog about their pain.

Yes I am going to do it1 No I'm not going to do it... But given that after a week of terrible weather in Sydney, the prospect of facing 3 hours on the bike, in the pouring rain, wine and arctic weather conditions - a good excuse would be to race.

Given that I was under orders I was still to ride - I jumped on the wind trainer for 2 hours, woke the family up and managed to watch a movie, and consume breakfast on the bike.

As I made my way down to the beach, the quads were burning, the pre race coffee wasn't going down well - and with people telling me how well I am going to do after my race at The Aussies. I was filled with fear...

My old coach Scotty Thomson was calling the race and was on the microphone, and after giving me a pep talk on and off the microphone, I knew all I could do was run and see how I felt.

A mass start and hundreds in front of me, including about 15 girls - I had to back myself, knowing that I would run a good race if I negative split - or atleast be able to keep the coach happy.

After the first kilometre - I found a guy's footsteps to follow that was comfortable, and there were no girls around me. at the 2km turning mark, I was well under record time - My first thought was that I was going to blow up, but thought I felt good, and would lift and see how I went.

To my surprise, as the race went on I felt faster, and crossed the line as the fast female and top 10 overall and even better - the course record by a good 35seconds over 4km.

Of all the races to win, The Bondi Barefoot has the most sentimental value - I am now in our club's history books, and I was the first club member to win the race.

This race was at the end of May and very late on the blogging, but I have photos. All shortcomings in cyber world can be blamed on the delayed receipt of photos... Here are photos

No comments:

Post a Comment