Monday, February 15, 2010

Surf Life Sydney Branch Championships

Sometimes there is nothing better than doing something you love - just for the hell of it.

This weekend I decided to race the Sydney Branch Championships 2km Sand Run. Despite my inner demons from last year's Australian Championships - I was really excited to throw the bike, goggles and best of all the joggers to dig my toes into the sand.

The weather was a little overcast and light rain, which meant we were able to run without melting. but most of all - the torrential rain the night made the sand incredibly firm. This always makes for some quick running across the 2 lap course.

I rode from home to Cronulla which is about 35km, and despite it being cruisy I was not sure how the legs were going to hold up. As the gun went and we all headed up, the quads felt great, and was happy to settle into a comfortable pace with a few of the girls. After about 300m I knew the pace was a little slow so I decided to run with a group of boys and use their foot steps to make it a little easier. I continued to edge away from the girls, and slowly started to pick off the boys.

It felt like a quick 2km (not sure how accurate the course was) and I was third including the men and first in the women. It felt good racing on the sand , and forgot how much fun racing that race is. But the best bit of the day, has to be hanging in the North Bondi SLSC tent listening to the the banter of the boys go back and forth.

Can't wait for State and the Nationals

No comments:

Post a Comment